Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Garden To Date



I am much more encouraged about my garden this year than lasts. I believe I only harvested corn and cherry tomatoes last year. But, it was my first and it gave me something to do.

This year, however, looks like I'll be getting a better harvest. I'm trying to do everything as organically as possible, but I did end up having to pick up a couple of tomato plants from the store because of bad seed. And then I was blessed with a few more plants from a friend at church :) They are not super tall yet, but getting there!


Beef Steak

(Honestly, I'm not really sure why I am dedicating a whole post to plants. I guess it's the gardener thing to do. I wouldn't blame you if you stopped reading right here :) ) 

These are green bell peppers...or at least I hope they will be someday. Feels like they are taking forever to grow! I believe our soil may have a lack of magnesium, so last month I ended up watering them with an Epsom salt mixture. It seems to be helping! The leaves went from yellowish brown to bright green and they are growing taller.

Of course the sun makes them still look yellow.

Just picked these cucumbers this morning! They are the very first I have ever grown and they taste delicious. Yay!


I think the part of my garden that I am the most "excited" about are the pumpkins. I am really hoping to make homemade pumpkin pies this Fall! 

Blossoms
Baby pumpkin about the size of a baseball.
Kind of looks like a watermelon right now.
There are three pumpkin vines growing. There were four,  until...ahem...Jeremiah decided to pull one out. But we won't talk about that...ahem. 

Seriously, could YOU stay upset with this face???
Here's my sweet corn. I always enjoy watching the stalks grow. I think it's because their growth is so noticeable from day to day.


And last, but not least, is my fennel plant. It was given to me by the same friend who gave me the tomatoes. So happy to have some variety in the garden! 


Have a great day!

Megan





No comments:

Post a Comment